James is Infrastructure Manager with Dumfries and Galloway Council. His remit includes a 25-strong Engineering Design function and 20+ staff in the client role for flood risk management, roads infrastructure (including bridges, retaining walls, road lighting and signals) waste management, waste collection, waste PFI contract and contaminated land. Finally his team also includes the Regional Harbour Master and staff who manage the Council’s five harbours.
James is also a Functional Team Manager within the Council’s Major Emergency Scheme. Since taking on that role he have been involved in a number of incidents, most recently taking a significant lead role in the Council’s response to the flooding of December 2015/January 2016.
James’ wider flood related experience includes:
- Designer for Portpatrick Flood Prevention Scheme 2004
- Client lead on Whitesands Project (Flood Protection and Public Realm Improvements)
- Client lead on the Newton Stewart Flood Protection Scheme
- Led on development of Subsidised PLP for Dumfries and Galloway Council
- Delivered on Flood Pod and Flood Trailer used by Council to support at risk communities
- Representative on SAIFF Local Authority Implementation Group writing guidance for the FRM(S)A09
- Representative for Dumfries and Galloway Council as Lead Local Authority for Solway LPD on Lead Local Authority Forum
- Main author on the Dumfries and Galloway Council published Solway LPD Local Flood Risk Management Plan
Previous work has included:
- 7+ years design and construction experience with Dumfries and Galloway Regional Council Water Services / West of Scotland Water – principally wastewater treatment and wastewater network.
- 8+ years design and construction experience with Dumfries and Galloway Council Engineering Design including resident engineer on an £8M A7 Auchenrivock Trunk Road Improvement Scheme for Transport Scotland.
- Since 2010 worked with Client function in Dumfries and Galloway Council, initially as Team Leader Flood Risk Management, then promotion to include Asset Management (Client function for £9.5M Infrastructure Asset Class; managing budget. This includes roads, bridges, lighting, harbours), plus lead on ensuring as Harbour Authority for 5 harbours we comply with the Port Marine Safety Code.